Nano One Materials Corp. New Opportunities
Environmental, Health, and Safety (EHS) Coordinator
Burnaby, BC, Canada .
full-time . March 3, 2023
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada
Job Type: Full-time, on-site
Nano One® Materials Corp. (Nano One) is a cutting-edge clean technology company with a patented and scalable process for improving how battery materials are made. Nano One is a well-funded, publicly traded company with a diverse team of scientists and experienced business people. We are trailblazing a better way to make battery materials for electric vehicles, energy storage and consumer electronics in the global push for a zero-emission future. We leverage our know-how to address scale-up challenges of the energy transition using our patented process, which produces low-cost, high-performance lithium-ion battery materials. Our team focuses on continuous innovations to leapfrog the status quo by solving tomorrow's problems.
We are changing how the world makes battery materials, and we need your help. We are looking for talented and creative people to join our 130+ team as we scale up toward commercialization.
We're looking for a talented and motivated EHS Coordinator to join our team full-time at our innovation hub in Burnaby, BC. You'll play a critical role in ensuring the safety and well-being of our employees while ensuring compliance with all relevant regulations. Reporting directly to the EHS Manager in Candiac, QC, you'll work closely with other team members to identify potential hazards and minimize risks. With your strong communication and analytical skills, strategic thinking abilities, and attention to detail, you'll conduct regular safety inspections, develop, and promote safe workspace policies, coordinate safety training, and maintain detailed records. We offer a collaborative and supportive work environment that fosters a workplace safety and well-being culture.
- Conduct regular safety inspections of laboratory and pilot plant operations and activities.
- Maintain detailed logs of all inspections.
- Develop and maintain inspection checklists for laboratory and pilot plant operations and activities.
- Make recommendations to the management team on addressing identified safety concerns, hazards, and risks.
- Participate in project kick-off activities to ensure all safety procedures are correctly followed and make necessary protocol amendments based on observations.
Policies and Procedures
- Create, implement, and promote safe workspace policies for all employees
- Ensure that all policies are up-to-date with relevant regulations and guidelines
- Support the continued development of EHS policies and procedures
- Maintain and further develop safe systems of work related to high-hazard activities as per our Life-Saving Policies, as well as local laws and regulations
- Develop and deliver occupational health and safety (OHS) training programs for new and existing employees.
- Manage the site EHS training plan to include identifying training needs, organizing training, and ensuring all training is up-to-date.
- Conduct company-wide safety meetings to ensure strong communication between all teams and organizations within the company.
- Schedule and conduct necessary safety drills and training sessions and ensure that all employees are aware of and prepared for emergencies
- Incident Investigation
- Review and investigate incident/near-miss reports submitted by employees
- Prepare reports on occurrences and provide statistical information
- Lead investigations of incidents, including root cause analysis and corrective actions, and follow-up on the implementation of these actions
- Oversee and coordinate with the Joint Health and Safety Committee (JHSC) to establish a strong safety culture.
- Set their agenda, guide them on safety matters, and ensure they have the necessary resources to fulfill their role effectively.
- WorkSafeBC Liaison and Compliance
- Liaise with WorkSafeBC, ensuring compliance and addressing inspections, claims, and inquiries.
- Maintain a positive relationship with WorkSafeBC representatives, and fulfill documentation and reporting requirements.
- Help implement and deliver the EHS prevention programs
- Provide advice for safety programs and lead activities, including risk assessments, human factors analysis, and hazard studies.
- Support site management to set up and run EHS systems
- Assist the scientific team with the development and maintenance of Job Hazard Analyses (JHAs) and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for new and existing equipment and activities
- Develop, promote, and maintain a recycling program in accordance with the local regulations and guidelines of the organization to which the Burnaby site is subject.
- A bachelor's degree in environmental science, occupational health and safety, chemistry or chemical engineering, or a related field is preferred.
- Minimum of 3-5 years of experience in environmental, health, and safety management, preferably in a laboratory or manufacturing setting, with a proven track record in occupational health and safety.
- Strong knowledge of Canadian and British Columbia occupational health and safety regulations, hazardous materials, and environmental protection.
- Familiarity with the hazards associated with lithium-ion batteries and the ability to develop and implement appropriate safety procedures.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to communicate effectively with employees, management, and regulatory agencies.
- Strong organizational skills, with the ability to manage multiple tasks and projects simultaneously and work effectively under pressure to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, with the ability to think critically and strategically, analyze data, and report statistics.
- Certificate or Diploma in Occupational Health and Safety and completion of WHMIS.
- Valid Occupational First Aid – Level 2 certificate.
- The ability and willingness to travel between British Columbia and Quebec.
- Eligibility to work in Canada is required.
- Fluent spoken and written English language skills are required.
If you are interested in this position and meet the qualifications above, please submit your resume and cover letter for consideration. We are an equal-opportunity employer and welcome all qualified applicants to apply. We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.